Welcome to the website of FEL – a grassroots feminist organisation based in Belgium. FEL is an acronym that stands for feminist and left, the word itself means “fierce”.
Most of our activism is local and many of our texts are in Dutch.
In 2015 we ran a successful campaign against rape apologist Willem Elias, dean of University of Brussels (English text). One year later, we’ve launched a campaign against professor Jan Heylen of the University of Leuven, who physically attacked an assistant teacher (doctoral student) – with an entire class of students as witnesses.
We organise monthly reading groups that often become consciousness raising sessions, participate in mass protests, help women who experience violence, organize against male violence, distribute adbusting stickers and a feminist starter kit, and more. We are radical, against porn culture, antiracist and trans inclusive.
Several of us write for the Dutch blog De Tweede Sekse. Several of us make zines and one of us just published her first book, Feminism – A New Beginning. (In dutch, translation forthcoming).
Questions, comments? You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s the texts that are in English:
Articles in English
- Decriminalisation of prostitution: what’s going on? What can be done in Belgium?, Evie Embrechts, 2015.
- “I’m reaching out to everyone, every citizen, to take rape seriously”, Ashley, april 2015
- Dean of Brussels University blames rape victim, april 2015
- Feminism and Transgender Liberation, Evie Embrechts, Socialist Resistance, 2015
- Prostitution: The Swedish or the Dutch model, Evie Embrechts, LinksFeminisme & International Viewpoint, 2014
- Left feminism and the free choice debate, Evie Embrechts & Ida Dequeecker, LinksFeminisme & International Viewpoint, 2014
- Building Bridges: Radical Feminism and Trans*, Evie Embrechts, 2012, ScumGrrrls
- Some things we need for a feminist revolution, Nina Nijsten, 2011, Interface Vol 3(2).
- Reading Group Summary – Under Duress: Agency, Power and Consent
- Crisis in feminism: time to refocus, Evie Embrechts. First digital publication of this text, originally in Scumgrrls 2010.
- Echo Publishing – echo’s zines are written in English